Thursday, March 1, 2012

Nicole's Story, Team Restore

Everyday I wake up and get to do the things that I love the most.  I get to go to work at a state-of-the-art facility where families are trying to make the most of very difficult events in their lives.  I get to play with kids to try and help them improve functional use of one side of their body or help improve their core strength and stability after surgery to remove brain tumors.  I get to listen to pearls of wisdom from older adults while working on activities to improve balance after a fall in their home.  I've come across so many amazing children, adults and families in my 2 years as an occupational therapist at Brooks Rehabilitation Hospital.  But, in all of my 26 years, I've never been outside of the United States.

There are so many things that I am looking forward to on this trip, from learning about the Haitian culture to the core principles of my profession.  I am so excited to get to know some of the Haitian people and learn about their lifestyles.  Hopefully, the limited resources we are able to provide will facilitate these individuals in being more independent and successful in activities of daily living.  I still have a lot of learning to do before my team sets off on this adventure in just 64 days!!  Thank you so much for supporting our cause in providing medical services to countries in need.

No comments:

Post a Comment